Badger Equine Veterinary Services
What We Offer:
- Internal Medicine
- Lameness and Sport Medicine
- Pre-Purchase Exams
- Equine Reproduction
- Equine Chiropractic
- Nutrition Consultation
- Preventative Care
- Field Surgical Procedures
- Equine Dentistry
Margaret Courter, DVM
Small Animal and Equine (mixed) Veterinarian, Equine Medical Director
Dr. Courter joined the Badger Veterinary Hospital and Badger Equine Veterinary Services teams in 2017 after earning her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from UW-Madison. Dr. Courter’s equine clinical interests include preventative health, dentistry, lameness, sports medicine, and geriatric care. Her small animal clinical interests include preventative health, internal medicine, and geriatric care.
Dr. Courter began riding horses when she was 8 years old. She worked (lived) at the barn and moved her way up training and showing American Saddlebreds. She also worked at a small animal veterinary clinic in Middleton for six years prior to and throughout veterinary school. During undergraduate school, she completed a yearlong internship at a mixed animal practice and attended eight traveling externships at equine veterinary practices across the U.S. while in veterinary school.
Dr. Courter’s professional affiliations include the American Association of Equine Practitioners, the American Veterinary Medical Association, and the Wisconsin Veterinary Medical Association.
Interesting things about Dr. Courter:
- Has a 5-year-old Shepherd/Husky mix named Luna, a 5- year-old Saddlebred gelding named Mississippi Mudcat and continues to pleasure ride Saddlebreds.
- Volunteers with Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin (Rock Co.) VetPets program, offering free spay/neuter surgeries to shelter kittens
- Traveled for both personal and veterinary purposes to several countries, including Nicaragua, Honduras, South Africa, Hungary, and Canada.
- Travel — with one brother living on the West Coast with his wife and two daughters and another brother and his wife and one daughter living in Budapest, Hungary, traveling to visit family is a favorite activity!
- Enjoys anything outside — hiking, running, sand volleyball, skiing, and laying poolside.
- Packer and Badger fan!! Loves college and professional football and college basketball.
- LOVES anything chocolate 😊
Marie Kettler, DVM, CVA
Dr. Kettler joined the Badger Equine Veterinary Services team in June 2019. Originally from Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin, Dr. Kettler completed her undergraduate degree at the University of Wisconsin- Madison in 2014 and received her Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine from the University of Wisconsin- Madison in 2019. In Spring of 2018, Dr. Kettler attended the Chi Institute of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine and received certification in veterinary acupuncture upon graduation. Dr. Kettler’s clinical interests include equine lameness, reproduction, dentistry and acupuncture, as well as small ruminant and bovine preventative medicine.
Dr. Kettler began riding horses when she was 7 years old at a hunter jumper barn. She showed English and western in 4-H for 11 years, after which she continued to trail ride her Paint Horse, Stacee. During college, she began to play polo with the UW- Madison Polo Club, and now competes with the Madison Polo Club.
Dr. Kettler’s Professional affiliations include the American Association of Equine Practitioners, the American Veterinary Medical Association, and the Wisconsin Veterinary Medical Association.
Interesting things about Dr. Kettler:
- Dedicated to work with the Equitarian Initiative, particularly with the Horse Spirit Society and the Christian
- Veterinary Mission completing vaccinations, castrations, dental work, and wound care in both Haiti and the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota.
- Has a 1-year old American Cattle Dog mix named Lakota, who she brought home from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
- Shows Belgian draft horses with her boyfriend Daine, and his family.
- Enjoys hiking, swimming, and trail riding in her free time.
- Loves traveling and trying new foods as well as learning about new cultures whenever she can.
Megan Ringhand, CVT
Equine CVT Supervisor
Megan joined Badger Veterinary Hospital in May 2013. She spent many years lifeguarding and teaching swim lessons prior to spending two years in a mixed animal practice as a veterinary assistant. Toward the end of earning her Associates Degree at Madison College, Megan spent eight weeks with Badger Veterinary Hospital for her internship. She loved her experience at Badger. “The staff at Badger is warm-hearted. The facility is great and the practice’s outlook on veterinary medicine is cutting edge. I wanted to be a part of this team from the beginning of my internship.”
Megan enjoys building client relationships and caring for all animals, big and small. When she’s not working, she’ll be on her family’s farmette in Evansville with her parents and siblings, two horses, a yellow lab, and several barn cats.
Interesting things about Megan…
- Megan has a strong compassion for animals since she was a child. She grew up with horses and has been surrounded by a family that’s highly dedicated to the animal/agriculture industry. She was a member of 4-H and FFA for years, which sparked her passion of caring for animals.
- Megan loves spending time with friends and family, horseback riding, attempting Pinterest projects, swimming and enjoying time on the water.
- Megan did life-guarding and continued to do that all through college for 6 years!
- Favorite food is Mac and Cheese (or really anything with cheese in it-(She is a true Wisconsinite).
“I’m truly proud to be part of such an amazing team of animal experts!”
Amanda Rusch, CVT
Amanda graduated from the Madison College Technician Program in May of 2017 and jumped right into working at Badger. She started off working with horses in a local 4-H club with the Horseless horse program. Her own fur babies include her three cats: Tigger, Waylon and Kitty and her two horses: Mystic (Quarter Horse) and DuVessa (Gypsy/Shire Cross).
Amanda’s interests include:
Trail riding and camping with her horses, sand and indoor volleyball, and spending time with her friends and family.
She is a huge Packer’s and Badger’s fan and she loves to travel!